Wednesday, April 15, 2009

She Needs a Break

The "little girl whose Daddy died" has worked really hard. She's grieved; she's been loyal to the memory of her Daddy; she's tried really hard not to be too happy too often so she wouldn't be disappointed when the sad times came again; she's been my fierce protector.

She's done her best and it's time I let her rest. I'm sure she'll be relieved to be excused from this huge job she's performed for 33 years! She'll be in a special place in my heart, especially since she worked so hard for me and taken such good care of me. But it's now my turn to take good care of her. It's my turn to reassure her that the good and the bad and the funny and the sad are all part of the flow of life and that each feeling has its time and place and life is an iterative process (I just love that word--"iterative"! I should adopt it and remind myself of the concept often!!!)

Thich Nhat Hahn says "You are more than your emotions." I try to remember that and live it everyday. By letting her take a well deserved rest, I think I will be more successful in internalizing the ebb and flow of emotions I feel.

So, thank you little girl, I really appreciate all that you've done to keep me together for all these years. Rest, relax and enjoy the young life that you had. I hope you'll enjoy the person you've helped to create. I love you and it's my turn to help you feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember, this is a place of healing and comfort. I will delete any comments that I believe are contrary to that purpose. Thanks for understanding!