Saturday, November 14, 2009

Madame President

Yay! I'm now President of the Northeast MA Regional Library System (NMRLS), a non-profit corporation largely funded with state dollars that supports libraries allowing us to serve our patrons more efficiently and effectively. As my name badge from the meeting stated, "NMRLS: Helping Libraries Work Better, Since 1997".

Assuming this position is bittersweet--not at all what I expected 2 years ago when I was asked to run for VP-President-Elect/President/Past President. The economy which has hit us all hard, is continuing to erode state funded services, including my beloved NMRLS. Our state agency can no longer sustain 6 regions and the number of regions must be reduced. I wrote the following poem and delivered it during my Presidential remarks.

Re-Creation

Budget situation
Impending consolidation
Regional reorganization

Sudden notification
Concerned organization
Deep conversation

Staff agitation
Board exclamation
Close reexamination

Stoic consideration
Emotional situation
Uncertain destination

Proactive collaboration
Efficient facilitation
Program prioritization

Multi-type consultation
Member participation
Service orientation

Personal determination
Future imagination
Successful preservation

Impending consolidation
Regional continuation
Altered configuration

Written for the 2009 NMRLS Annual Member Meeting, 11/12/09

3 comments:

  1. So glad you posted this! I was going to ask if I could include this in our Newsletter? May I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you can!!! I'll be honored!

    ReplyDelete

Remember, this is a place of healing and comfort. I will delete any comments that I believe are contrary to that purpose. Thanks for understanding!